SEA Discovery Center
SEA's Mission: Revealing the joy of discovery to cultivate stewards of the marine environment...
The SEA Discovery Center (previously known as the Poulsbo Marine Science Center) is a free public aquarium and hands-on learning center featuring marine life from the Pacific Northwest. Since May 24, 2016, Western Washington University has continued the center’s mission to reveal the joy of discovery to cultivate stewards of the marine environment.
Annually, more than 30,000 visitors engage with marine life in the center’s public aquarium. Visitors can interact with live sea stars and other animals in the tide pool tank, observe a Giant Pacific Octopus, a myriad of fish, crab, and much more! We also have a theater featuring educational marine films, a Hall of Marine Art, and a Children’s Activity Area, where visitors can share their connection to the ocean and marine life.
Serving over 6,000 school children in five Kitsap school districts each year, the SEA Discovery Center provides active learning opportunities for educational school groups visiting the center for all-day field trips in which students observe and explore the diversity of marine life in the Discovery Lab and collect scientific measurements from Liberty Bay in the Floating Ecosystem Lab. We offer field trip programs for
- early childhood (Pre-K – 2nd grade)
- elementary (3rd-5th grade)
- secondary (6th-12th grade)
Additionally, we offer a variety of Enrichment Programs after school, on weekends, and during the summer such as Youth Nights Out, Super Saturday, and Summer Camps.
Donations and countless hours of volunteer work have allowed the SEA Discovery Center to remain open.
How You Can Help: We welcome the support and partnership of the community through philanthropic investment. Your support helps keep the free public aquarium open for visitors and able to deliver educational programming to school districts and participants. Your donation will have a significant impact on SEA Discovery Center and the entire Kitsap community.
Please join us to support marine science education throughout Poulsbo, Kitsap, and surrounding communities!
- $25 provides support for one student to participate in an academic field trip (covers all associated costs to SEA)
- $100 provides a 3-hour youth enrichment lesson for K-8th youth. (GEM, STEM, KNOW)
- $200 provides a scholarship for one student to attend SEA’s 5-day summer camp
- $500 covers teaching costs for a one-day field trip for up to 60 students (early childhood, elementary, or middle school)
- $1,000 provides animal food, care and aquarium operations for 2 days
- $1,500 provides instructional costs for a 3-day investigative field unit for up to 60 secondary students
Thank you for your support!