Environmental Sciences Field Camp 2019
"Field experiences help students to become fully realized scientists and human beings."*
Environmental Sciences Field Camp will help students achieve these goals in spring 2019. Students in Field Camp will spend most of the spring on long and short field expeditions, where they will design conservation solutions and conduct original field research. The group will travel together on foot and by boat to research sites and remote camps. Student research projects will culminate in presentations during WWU’s Scholars Week, and potential submission for publication in scientific journals.
Your support could allow any Environmental Science student to benefit from this unique opportunity, regardless of financial status
*Fleischner et al. 2017. BioScience 67:559.
Benefits of Field Camp
- Gain wildlife research experience.
- Develop conservation design expertise.
- Participate in the nation's most comprehensive ecosystem restoration project.
- Present your research at a conference; add to your resume.
- Learn how to publish your research – and do so.
- Learn to identify diverse wildlife.
- Develop competence in wilderness skills and travel.
- Teamwork: achieve more as a group than you could as individuals.
- Cultivate hope and motivation to make a difference.
- Field science is fun!
What students wrote about Field Camp 2018
"I can't express enough how much this camp has positively impacted my life. The ability to conduct my own research has improved my confidence as an individual and a scientist. You did a magnificent job in fostering our learning, group work, and augmenting appreciation for the amazing organisms on our planet."
"It showed me that I can do environmental science and validated my desire to pursue this path."
"I have already impressed employers with the amount of experience and level of work we have completed."
"This quarter acted to re-spark the entire reason that I came to Huxley in the first place."